If you hit ANY animal, please STOP to see if it is injured or dead. If it is an adult deer, check for orphaned fawns nearby — if it can be done safely.
- If it can be done safely, MOVE IT to the side of the road to prevent any driver behind you from hitting the body and possibly being injured.
- Use extreme caution when approaching any injured animal. Do not attempt to pick it up. Do not risk being bitten or kicked.
- You may cover it to provide warmth. Covering its head will calm it.
- Do not give it food or water.
- If possible, wait by the injured animal until help comes.
In Sonoma County:
- For Injured Spotted Fawns, call Fawn Rescue at (707) 931-4550. Give exact directions.
- Call Sonoma County Animal Care & Control at (707) 565-7100 for injured adult deer. Report a dead deer to Sonoma County Animal Care & Control, and then leave it.